Saint Michael's Hospital was incorporated by the Sister of the Poor of Saint Francis, a Catholic order, in 1871. The original hospital was in rented quarters at 69 Bleecker Street. The present site at Central Avenue and Martin Luther King Blvd. (High Street) was acquired in 1869. Money for the building of this facility was raised through a general subscription in the Catholic Churches of Newark. The Catholic community met the challenge and in 1871 the hospital building was built.